Terms of Let
Last updated: Tuesday, 19th February 2019
The person whose name appears on the Booking Form agrees to take full responsibility for ensuring that all the following Conditions of Let are adhered to by all members of the party. If any of our Terms of Let are not clear to you, please ask for clarification on specific points.
- Guest numbers and booking contract:
- To limit the number of guests occupying any one property to that stated in the brochureor website, unless by prior consent with the owner. Also to limit the number of “extra”daytime visitors to 6 unless by prior discussion and agreement with the owner when a smalldaytime charge may be imposed towards “wear and tear” for any daytime visitors in excess of 6.
- To accept that a completed booking form agreed by both parties is a binding contract and that any subsequent amendments must be agreed by both parties in writing. Also that any deviations/ relaxations to the normal payment or cancellation terms detailed below, andagreed in writing or email between the owner and an individual, form a binding contract.
- Payment Arrangements:
- With the Wing of Crosswoodhill, Steading Cottage and Orlege End : To pay 50% depositon booking, with the balance payable 5 weeks before the start of the holiday. If a booking is made less than 5 weeks before the start of the holiday please pay the full rent at the time of booking, having first checked that the property of your choice can be reserved for you. Failure to pay the balance of rental charges, or allow the owner to take the balance by card by the due date (35 days prior to arrival), will result in the owner treating the property as available for re-booking.
- With Craigengar Lodge: Variations in the timings of payments may be individually agreed in writing or by email between owner and hirer. However, unless otherwise agreed by both parties prior to or at the time of booking, a minimum of £200 immediate non-returnable deposit is required to secure the booking. This relaxation of the usual 50% deposit “rule” at the time of booking is to offer time to the named individual completing the booking form to collect in more monies from the remaining party members. However the remainder of the 50% initial deposit must be paid within 14 days maximum from the time of booking unless special dispensation has been given in writing by the owner for a booking many months away, either for instalments or for the full 50% deposit to be paid later than this 14 day period. Failure to pay the balance of moneys timeously involves a risk that an overdue payment may result in their booking being cancelled by the owners of the property. In all cases the 50% balance should be fully paid 8 weeks’ prior to start of the let at Craigengar.
- Cancellation Terms:
- To notify any cancellation in writing and pay any monies due: 50% up to 5 weeks’ prior to the arrival date, 100% after that ( or 50% up to 8 weeks and 100% after that in the case of Craigengar.) If the accommodation is re-let at the full rate, a full refund, less an administration fee of £50 per week for the smaller properties will be made. In the case of Craigengar the administration fee is £100 but this will be waived as the non-refundable £200 cancellation fee will be retained. If a new booking for the property is secured at a lesser rate a partial refund will be made. If not re-let then no refund will be made. To safeguard against cancellation charges & other unforeseen eventualities we strongly recommend Cancellation Insurance. If you are not covered by other policies you may like to contact these insurers direct on this link https://www.schofields.ltd.uk/travel
- To accept that should the property, subsequent to booking, become unavailable through any cause, the owner’s liability is limited to the amount of any rent paid.
- To accept that although guests are usually welcome to explore the farm and watch farm activities, there may be times (mainly for reasons of animal or human welfare) when access to farm sheds/farmland/surrounding hills may need to be restricted or even prohibited. Providing that the accommodation itself is still available, no rental rebates would be given in such circumstances.
- To accept that in the event of the unexpected, such as strikes, travel delays, adverse weather, etc the holiday property owner cannot be expected to reimburse/ refund any accommodation rental paid. As such we strongly advise guests to take out comprehensive travel insurance to protect against their cancellation losses.
- Additional Terms of Let:
- To keep any pets, where allowed, under strict control at all times and accept liability for any damage caused. Dogs must be house-trained, are not to be left alone at any time in or near the accommodation, unless specifically agreed with the property owners and must not be exercised on our sheep farm. (Forestry Commission area, 1 mile away, is ideal for this purpose). Animal hairs to be removed from carpets and dogs are not allowed onto the furniture or bedrooms. Any fouling in the gardens should be cleared. Please read and agree, as applicable, to our Pet-Friendly rules before booking.
- To accept that the responsibility for personal property of guests occupying the accommodation is solely theirs. All vehicles are also left at the guests’ risk. Also guests agree to absolve the Property Owner of any responsibility for any accident or mishap to persons or property whilst on the premises or whilst engaged in any activity therein, or from any illness or injury arising from any cause whatsoever. This includes both play areas on the farm where it is also the responsibility of adults to supervise children.
- To use the property solely for its purpose as self-catering accommodation and to accept the owner’s right to refuse to hand over the property to any person deemed unsuitable to take charge. Causing a nuisance or disturbance to neighbours, unreasonable behaviour or disrupting the running of the farm may result in the owners’ asking guests to leave with the possibility of no re-imbursement of rent.
- To accept that in the event of disruptions such as electricity power cuts, the supply of broadband or the telephone to the premises or any environmental factors beyond our control, no refunds can be offered to guests unless the supply companies offer any recompense for the inconvenience.
- To allow the owners or agents access to the property at all reasonable times.
- To be responsible for shutting all exterior doors and appropriate windows and securing the property when absent or sleeping.
- To respect and look after their accommodation during their stay and to leave the property clean and tidy, with full inventory. Also to take responsibility for minimising any fire risk and to show consideration for guests that follow by not smoking inside the property. Because of the fire risks, the use of candles, other than in emergency situations, is discouraged.
- To settle any fuel/electricity and telephone charges as appropriate, Fuel and electricity charges mainly apply to the smaller cottages. However although guests are quoted an all-in price for Craigengar Lodge, this price excludes any logs or coal used after the first free basket of logs and/or bucket of coal gifted to guests. Subsequent supplies of this luxury are charged at cost and need, please, to be paid for at the end of your stay. Prices on request if not displayed.
- To reimburse the owner for any breakages, loss or damage, other than those due to fair wear and tear. Also to accept the owner’s discretionary £25 charge for extra cleaning if the property has been left in an untidy mess. In the case of the much larger property Craigengar, this discretionary charge could rise to £75 dependent on the degree of extra cleaning required.
- To accept that, mainly in the case of Craigengar, our larger property, a good housekeeping deposit of up to £500 cash may be requested, to be handed to the owner on arrival and returnable on, or shortly after, departure, provided there has been no apparent significant damage or breakages when appropriate deductions may be made. Damage or losses subsequently discovered will be notified in writing and an agreement reached if compensation is necessary.
- To vacate the property by 10.00 hrs. latest on the final day of let, unless otherwise agreed with the owners. Failure to vacate promptly may incur a minimum penalty charge of £10, or more, depending on the degree of inconvenience to owners/incoming guests. Guest arrival time is from 16.00 hrs. onwards unless an earlier time has been agreed in advance.
- In the event of a complaint or grievance we would ask that you contact us during your stay to allow us to address any issue while you are still staying at Crosswoodhill. If you are unable to do this we would advise that you should lodge any complaint within 14 days of departure by email or by post. If we have not acknowledged an email within 48 hours please follow up with a copy in the post to Mrs. G. Hamilton, Crosswoodhill, West Calder, EH55 8LP. All disputes, claims or other matters arising in connection with a booking will be governed by Scottish Law.